Saturday, August 20, 2011

Crazy nights in Kansas City

Before I talk about all things Irish, I would just like to say that I hope all you are keeping safe during these crazy nights of storms.  My friend Larry the Chicken actually got dinged by a tree on Friday night.  Fortunately, he only got some minor scrapes and bruises. He was more shaken than hurt.   And, he has great friends like me and Frank the Monkey to take care of him.  But, I have seen a bit of all the trees that have come down, so I hope everyone is okay.  Stay safe during these storms!  And if you need a hug because of the scary lightening or thunder, don't hesitate to turn to mom or dad for a hug.  They might need one too.

Now back to Ireland....

Because our new cow is obviously a fan of dance, I thought I would talk some about Irish dance.  I think because of people like Michael Flatley and shows like "Riverdance", Irish dance has gained the popularity such a graceful dance deserves.

For those of you who may have seen dancers around, you might have wondered why the dancers tend to keep their arms rigid along their sides during the dance.  I don't know if this is just a story or the truth, but I heard a whisper about why Irish dancers do that.  I heard that long ago, when British people has invaded Ireland, the King decided to punish the Irish people by prohibiting from dancing.  Stupid meanie.  He just wanted to prove his authority by taking away something fun from the people of Ireland.  However, the Irish people were stronger than that.   Back in those days, most cottages and barns had a special doors.  The kind of door where a person could swing just the top open to see who was at the door before opening the entire door.  These doors were on barns so cows like me could peek their heads out and get some sun and fresh air during the day.  Well, in order to deny the mean king without getting themselves in trouble, the Irish would use those doors as their protection.  A British officer or tax collector would come to the door and an Irish person would swing open the top only.  As long as the British officer was there (usually being meanies), the Irish person would hold his or her upper body still and rigid.  Behind the closed bottom half, the Irish person would move his or her feet in dance.    It was a way of saying, "You can try to stop me from dancing, but my Irish feet will keep moving for as long as they are able."
A scene from Riverdance...see how the dancers often keep their arms straight down


Way to be sneaky and still keep their fun without getting in trouble!!

Again, I don't know if that story is true, but I like to believe it is.  Because nothing should keep a person from dancing!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment