Thursday, July 18, 2013

Irish Thought for July 18...


The KCIF KID’S CLUB


Meet Kelsey

The Mighty Quinn – Kelsey

I have known Kelsey forever or for at least 13 years.  Like the other Irish Fest Kids, she is growing up quickly.

Kelsey is an Irish Dancer and she is an aggressive Basketball player and she always has a warm smile.  Kelsey is one of those people who just make other people feel good.  She pitches in at Irish Fest all she is able while she is performing on the side.   But, she is at every meeting before and after Irish Fest, and as with our entire team; is putting her ideas out there on how to make the Fest better for all of our guests.

She started out handing out balloons with Colleen several years ago.  I told them not to leave each other, to make every attendee under 13 happy to be here with us and to stay in a defined area.  They achieved that goal and now they have graduated to going out in costumes, and head all over the Fest.

Kelsey is a fierce competitor, but remembers to keep everything fun.  That is where I heard her called Quinn (she answers to both)  She is another one of my kids who have been caught Irish Dancing off the swimming pool diving board, but I know when I challenge her at horse for Basketball, she will seriously calculate how to beat me.

Kelsey’s family is long standing members of the Irish Fest Committee and Board, and I have to know that when they look at Kelsey, their pride must be close to bursting.

I know when I lobby for a change in the Children’s, if it makes sense, and I have gained Kelsey’s vote, she will be a strong advocate for me.  Remember, it is always good to have her on your side.

One of her more serious moments is after the fest.  We all get together to decide what went really well and what we need to throw out and try again.   Kelsey is serious about making constructive criticisms; that is why we are the best Kids area at any Fest!

In Kelsey’s words:

The thing I love about Irish Fest is that the music is so good, and there is always something to do and enjoy.


Meet Erin

One day, two years ago, this incredibly cute freckled faced fairy showed up with Kelsey at a meeting.  I knew Erin through her Grandparents, and I knew we were lucky to get her.  She has been enthusiastic but a little shy in voicing her ideas.  But put her in charge of Bingo and the shyness is gone, and the fun begins.
Erin has her sister’s fleet feet as she is an Irish Dance too.  She has a wonderful work ethic, and has helped me with things like cleaning up trash in the tents.  She smiles, tells me sure and jumps in to any task.

But her charm is helping out in a visual way with the Children’s Area like doing Bingo or the Wack-a-laylee.   Her smile is disarming and her laugh is infectious.  And she does a great job with our more mundane jobs like inventory and pricing.    If Erin is over at the merchandise/prize booth in the Children’s Area; take her advice on the merchandise, she always knows the best stuff to get.

One year before Erin started with us, she helped her Grandmother make a Fairy House; it was beautiful, any Fairy would have been lucky to have it.   And I know she has other talents like she bakes wonderful cookies.

Watch for Erin at the Fest, she is one of our best smiles in the Club.





1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of these girls. They are very special and love to help at Irish Fest.
    Grammer & Poppy

    ReplyDelete