Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Irish Thought for July 16...


The KCIF KID’S CLUB

Meet Mack

MacKenzie
Northwestern Missouri State

Yes, we ousted Mack out of the Kid’s Club, but she still is an active mentor and went right up the ranks to the adult Children’s Committee of Irish Fest.  

Mack has done it all and was there when the Children’s Area was a 10 x 30 tent.  Mikayla followed Mack around for those first years, as Mack was the grown up at all of 9 years.  And since that time, MacKenzie has taken several of the Kids under her wing as mentor.

MacKenzie used to work and work and help shut down and then disappear.  She was so shy those first few years and I always had a fear she was working too hard.   The disappearance was shyness and at about 13 she blossomed.   No more disappearing, she used to sit with all the adults and talk about things that happened at the Fest until her -Mom (another great Irish Fest Director) or Dad would come to get her, just to force her to get her food and rest. 

Nothing has changed.  MacKenzie  is still working very hard and right there for the kids.  

Through all this time she has only ever asked for one thing, that is to see the Elders.  It makes me smile because every year I hear the same thing, I am going to run to the stage to see the Elders and I’ll be back for clean-up.   And every year she is. 

So the future for MacKenzie; I keep telling her she is allowed to experience other Irish Fest Areas, but I think her love for kids will always outweigh that.   I do know next year, I want to be the first to buy her her first Irish Fest Beer with a little green token,  I’ll will probably cry, I know I did when she went to College.  Having my Kid’s Club kids grow-up is just what it should be, but nothing will stop me from the fantastic memories, and the accomplished, gifted, lovely adults they are all becoming! 

Mack’s own words will be for me.   She would say get something to drink and is there anything I can do?





No comments:

Post a Comment