Saturday, October 19, 2013

Irish Thought for October 19...

Irish-American Movies

Finian's Rainbow

In this musical, an Irishman named Finian (Fred Astaire) arrives with his daughter Sharon (Petula Clark) in a small Southern tobacco town in fictional Missitucky where Finian has big plans for his stolen pot of gold.  Unfortunately, the pair are followed by the leprechaun whose gold they stole.  Directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

I love this movie.  I have the movie and the soundtrack.  The story mixes so many important themes while having some fun at the same time.  The fun part is the leprechaun, Og, who is in the process of turning mortal due to his pot of gold being stolen (or borrowed as Finian puts it).  The best part about this movie is that I enjoyed the fun parts, jokes singing, and dancing when I was young, but then I grew to see more value and depth within the movie as I grew older and learned more of the world and history.

No comments:

Post a Comment