Saturday, July 7, 2012

Irish Thought for July 7...

A Wee Bit O' Irish History

1172

Pope Adrian IV decreed that Henry II of England was the Lord of Ireland.

I was raised Catholic and know a tad about the Popes and such.  However, I didn't know that these men got to decree who is the Lord of countries.  Maybe my confusion is because back then Catholicism was more widespread and  dominant and the Pope was king of the world and Jesus' right hand man, and these attributes allowed him to make decrees about who is the head of certain areas.  Man, I wish I was powerful enough to decree that I am the Lord of the United States, then we wouldn't have so many problems with politicians who do nothing but make any progress murky and thus impossible (not to mention only working for those who have enough money to buy politican's help).  I have a suspicion that even a beautiful dancing cow would get locked in an insane asylum if she tried to declare herself Lord of anything.  I will just have to stick to Kansas City Irish Fest for a year of being a princess of such an awesome event!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment