Sunday, May 11, 2014

Irish Thought for May 11...

An Ode to a Friend...



My daughter Megan is our blog editor and does a great job daily finding fun Irish facts to share.  For this blog, I am stepping in - even though she will still edit and add even to this blog.  Thank you Megs.

About 15 years ago, I was living in Denver, my part-time home was New York, my children were in Chicago, and much of my heart was in Kansas City.   I was here on visits to my family as I was coming home from New York to Denver almost every other week.

One weekend, I was introduced to the Brookside Irish Festival.   I met an amazing group of people as Bob's sister, and, I had a fun day there, plus the music was great.   I was really excited for Kansas City as I had a great love for attending the Irish Fest in Denver, which at that time was very close to where I lived.

And then, 13 years ago, I moved home to KC.  I was volunteered to help a wonderful guy named Ron Einbender with his merchandise tent at the Irish Fest down by the River.  I remember that I was on crutches and I got a call from my teary eyed brother saying don't even try to come down on that terrible Saturday.

Several months later, my brother and Danny Regan charmed me into running the Children's Area, knowing how much I love kids.  As I met the committee, the board, and the entertainers,  I found this incredible, talented, dedicated group of people and what formed for me was a bond of trust with each of them.  

They took me on and watched me the first year.  As I delivered what I said I would, this amazing team brought me into their fold, and it will always be a family.

I could name each of them and the gifts and talents they share so willingly with every single guest at Irish Fest and the wonderful entertainment that comes in.   But more than that, in many cases, they share their talent and time with each other.  

Barney Walsh was just such a person. He was involved all year, and he understood that it did take a year to get to the next Fest and to make each one better than the last one.  He was on site three days before the festival doing anything and everything that could use his tool box and ladder.   He was there during the Fest, just checking in. I knew I could ask him to jump and he would say how high, I was always glad I didn't have to ask, I thought he must be needed elsewhere.  He had a calming effect on people, I think I would defy someone to stay mad at him for more than 3 seconds!  He had a glint in eye that was mischievous but somehow, also reassuring.

I have been thinking long and hard because as a team, I thought the Irish Fest community would always just be.   That somehow we were invincible and even though we have had our family move on to New Jersey or Texas, the family members were never really far away and always there for Irish Fest.   The bonds that have formulated over the years go beyond our endeavors at Irish Fest.  Most everyone involved have become my extended family.  

Barney will be missed at every level.  I admire him for the acute care he gave everyone of us and his family.   He always dropped everything to make you think he didn't have anything better to do but be with you right then.  

I don't know how we will ever replace Barney, anywhere in our lives, but I will hold on to his spirit and remember it and nurture it.

Barney, from Shawn, Megan, the Children's Committee, and the Kid's Club, thank you, we love you, and miss you so much.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Shawn. We were all so lucky to have him in our lives, even though he's gone far too soon.

    ReplyDelete