Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Irish Thought for November 27...

Irish-American Movies

Mystic River

Estranged friends from their childhood in an Irish-American area of Boston, three men reunite when one's daughter is killed, which dredges up disturbing echoes from the past and incites revenge.  Starring Sean Penn (who won the Academy Award for Best Actor), Time Robbins (who won Best Actor in a Supporting Role), Kevin Bacon, and Marcia Gay Harden.  Directed by Clint Eastwood.

This movie is a powerful story.  When I first saw this movie, I cried for 5 hours afterwards.  My husband thought I was having a mental breakdown.  I have never been able to watch the movie again.  I think the experience would be like every time I watch An Affair to Remember.  I can watch 2 minutes of the movie, then I start saying lines in my head, and then I cry.  At least the latter movie ends in a somewhat positive place.  Mystic River just rips your heart apart and lets it lie.  I would recommend this movie in a heartbeat, but I would also stress to have somewhere happy to go after the movie is over.  Otherwise, this movie could be like "Gloomy Sunday" in Hungary (look it up if you want to know what I mean with that remark).
   -Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment