Saturday, April 6, 2013

Irish Thought for April 6...

Irish-American Celebrities

Maureen O'Hara

Born as Maureen FitzSimons, O'Hara is an Irish film actress and singer.  In 1946, she became a naturalized citizen of the United States.  The famously redheaded O'Hara has been noted for playing fiercely passionate heroines with highly sensible attitudes.  She often worked with director John Ford and longtime friend John Wayne, and stared as the mother of a young Natalie Wood in 20th Century Fox's Miracle of 34th Street.  She published her autobiography, 'Tis Herself in 2004.



My two favorites of her movies are Big Jake and The Quiet Man.  I would recommend watching both if you have not seen them.  They both are filled with humor and the passion of John Wayne and Maureen.  She has said the following about herself in The Quiet Man and I agree that there are many moments that are captured in mind:

O'Hara: "I have often said that The Quiet Man is my personal favourite of all the pictures I have made. It is the one I am most proud of, and I tend to be very protective of it. I loved Mary Kate Danaher. I loved the hell and fire in her. As I readied to begin playing her, I believed that my most important scene in the picture was when Mary Kate is in the field herding the sheep and Sean Thornton sees her for the very first time. It's a moment captured in time, and it's love at first sight. I felt very strongly that if the audience believed it was love at first sight, then we would have lightning in a bottle. But if they didn't, we would have just another lovely romantic comedy on our hands. The scene comes off beautifully."

No comments:

Post a Comment