Sunday, June 10, 2012

Irish Thought for June 10...

Irish-American Celebrities

Judy Garland (June 10, 1922 - June 22, 1969)

Born Frances Ethel Gumm, Judy Garland began as a performer at the age of two and a half, and continued as an actress and singer until her death at the age of 47.  She had iconic roles in many films, including The Wizard of Oz, Meet Me in St. Louis, and A Star is Born.  Garland was named eigth amond the "Greatest Female Stars of All Time" by the American Film Institute.

Judy as Dorothy
The Wizard of Oz was my first encounter with the magic that was Judy Garland and I will never forget it (especially because Kansas played a role in the movie)!  It remains my favorite because it reached and touched me the earliest.  However, she has left many more moments with me with her films and songs.  My favorite Christmas song is easily "Have Yourself a Merry Christmas" because she sings it with such grace and feeling that it gives me everything a Christmas song should.  With a voice such as hers, I feel like she should be equated with "Diva" status like Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston.  However, Judy was too fragile for me to think of her as a diva despite the voice that lights up and conquers the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment